FISCHER, Emil (librarian)
Philadelphia: Printed by T. K. & P. G. Collins, 1857.
Listing 10,500 items, the library of the Pennsylvania Hospital, founded in 1763, was undoubtedly the largest hospital library in the United States in 1857, and possibly the largest medical library in America. The first catalogue of the library was published in 1790, with supplements or new catalogues in 1793, 1806, 1829, and 1838. What was remarkable about the 1857 catalogue was its complex arrangement by medical specialty laid out in an 18-page Table of Contents set in fairly small type. This organizational scheme indicates much about the organization of medical knowledge at the time. The author, identified in this bibliography as "librarian" to prevent confusion with the biochemist of the same name, was a physician as well as a librarian. Digital facsimile from the Hathi Trust at this link.
Subjects: BIBLIOGRAPHY › Catalogues of Institutional Medical Libraries, U.S.: CONTENT OF PUBLICATIONS BY STATE & TERRITORY › Pennsylvania